Friday, November 25, 2011

A Long, Long Time Ago: David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World (1970)

U.S. Cover, my favorite.

I picked this one up in the mid-seventies, after I had listened obsessively to several other David Bowie LPs (Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, etc.). I remember being struck by how different much of it sounded from those - the vocals at times strange, the guitars heavier, and there were some songs I didn't like (!). It grew on me though and became one my favorites, standing happily alongside those other masterpieces in my Bowie collection. 

U.K. I never really cared for this ugly cover.

This was the first David Bowie album recorded with producer Tony Visconti and guitarist Mick Ronson. Bizarre lyrics with science fiction themes, soaring vocals, creepy background vocals, monster riffs and blazing guitar solos from Ronson, all add up to a superb and satisfyingly odd album. The first three songs in particular ("Width of a Circle", All the Madman", "Black Country Rock") all rock like crazy and should be counted with Bowie's best. The only song I never really cared for is "Running Gun Blues", an anti-vietnam tale about a soldier who keeps killing after he gets back from the war. I still think it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Wearing a dress, the good old days when Bowie was still bi.


No comments:

Post a Comment